Hi all:

Scott Carpenter recently wrote about a bird photographed at Walden Res.,
Jackson Co.:

"My father, Larry Carpenter, and I birded Walden Reservoir in Jackson County
on Sunday, 16 August 2009.? We were pleasantly surprised to come across a
CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR.? Due to the molt of the bird, we are not 100%
certain of the ID, and would appreciate feedback from those more familiar
with the plumage we saw.? Photos online at:
http://www.westerngrebe.com/longspur/

The bird depicted in those lovely photos is a juvenile Horned Lark.? Unlike
almost all other landbirds other than thrushes, juvenile larks are
characterized by the spotting present on the bird in the pix.? I wrote an
article on this plumage in the April 2009 issue of?Colorado Birds, as these
larks are often mis-identified as a variety of other open-country birds,
particularly Sprague's Pipit and longspurs.? Back issues are obtainable from
CFO's treasurer (http://cfo-link.org/journal/index.php) though I note that the
link to the treasurer's address is mis-spelled (missing an 'r').

Sincerely,

Tony Leukering

Villas, NJ