Hello, Birders.

There was a strong nocturnal passage of landbirds over Greenlee Preserve,
Boulder County, earlier today, Tuesday, April 25th. I heard flight calls at
250+ per hour. During 20 minutes of listening, starting at 4:45, I was able to
scribble down the following:

1 Upland Sandpiper
1 presumed Orange-crowned Warbler
2 Yellow Warblers
33 Wilson's Warblers
1 presumed Western Tanager
10 Chipping Sparrows
24 presumed Brewer's Sparrows
5 presumed Vesper Sparrows
2 Lark Sparrows
9 presumed Black-headed Grosbeaks

Note the various, ah, presumptions. Even some of the distinct-sounding calls,
e.g., those given by presumed Western Tanagers and Black-headed Grosbeaks, are
hard to ascribe with near-certainty to one species or another. I'm still trying
to figure out Townsend's and especially MacGillivray's Warblers. (Could I be
confusing MacGillivray's Warbler with Vesper Sparrow?) And what about
Clay-colored Sparrow?--am I missing some of those.

Anyhow, it was mostly cloudy with winds out of the north-northeast.

Around 6am, there was a very heavy dawn flight and fallout over Lafayette, as I
was hearing flight calls at 20-30 per minute (1,200-1,800 per hour) for close
to 10 minutes.

By the way, there is something special about Aug. 25th in Boulder County! The
best night of the season in 2006 was Aug. 25th, pre-dawn; the best night of the
season in 2007 was also Aug. 25th, pre-dawn; and the best night of the season
thus far in 2009 has been Aug. 25th pre-dawn. (In 2008, I was in Bolivia on
Aug. 25th, observing the austral migrations of Chaco Suiriri, White-crested
Elaenia, Rufous Casiornis, Fork-tailed Flycatcher, and White-browed Blackbird.)

Finally, Upland Sandpiper. A few of you have asked me what these sound like. Go
to his website: http://macaulaylibrary.org/index.do. Then, under the huge FIND
field, type in the digits 50267. Then press the "play" button (little arrow
facing right). Recording #50267 is typical for the Upland Sandpipers that I
hear over Colorado, but be aware of the existence of variants. For example,
check out #11536 (recorded in Suriname in November), #126945 (recorded in
Bolivia in September), and others, all at the Macaulay Library website.

You may find yourself turning down the volume on your computer! The Upland
Sandpiper's flight call is not exactly soft. If you "need" to hear one for
yourself in one of the Front Range counties, I recommend going out at night in
August (hurry, time's a-wastin') when there's a light northeast wind with some
cloud cover.

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
tedfloy...@hotmail.com
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Association: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Check out the American Birding Association on FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22934255714

Check out the American Birding Association on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/abaoutreach

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association:
http://www.aba.org