I was out and about at work in the Lakewood vicinity today, and had
time to take a break at Kountze Lake (Bel Mar Park).  I parked on the
west end, by the residential area, and walked over to the southwest
end of the lake to bird, with my usual 10x monocular that I keep in
the truck for on-the-job-birding.  One inch wide, 4 or 5 inches long.
Nothing special today-- Buffleheads, either a Scaup or a Ring-Neck in
the distance, Gadwall, Ring-Bills, and Pigeons.  Heading back to my
truck, I notice a JeffCo Sheriff pulling up the end of the dead-end
I'm parked on.  Then two.  Then they're pulling up onto the sidewalk
I'm walking on.  "Whoa," I think, "they must be after someone."  I'll
step off the sidewalk and continue on the grass.  They pull up and
stop, and the first officer opens his door, remains behind it, hand
near his hip, and looks straight at me and yells "Sir!."  Uh oh, they
are after someone.  Apparently me.  "What have you got in your
hand?!"  I merely held up my little scope for him to see.  He then
chuckled and relaxed.  Apparently, someone called the cops and
reported that I was lurking the park with a gun, hence their
appearance.   Hopefully they were as relieved as I was.  Thank god it
wasn't some rookie straight out of the academy, looking to put his
boot in my neck and cuff me, just to be sure.

Careful what kind of hardware you flash out there, folks!  :  )

Dave Cameron
Denver

--
Colorado Field Ornithologists: http://www.cfo-link.org/