Hello, Birders.

Three more things, if I may.

> I really appreciate Ted's advise on giving lat/longitude.
> I guess this makes sense in this day and age if we have
> the ability to post this data. I always have the gps in
> the car...easy enough to post.

1. And even if you don't have a portable GPS device, the information is still
useful. Just go online, find the exact spot, print out the map, and carry it
with you into the field. Indeed, the map itself (printout, computer screen,
whatever) can be especially useful, as it shows "real" features. Back in New
York last month, there was initial confusion about the location of a bird, but
the situation was resolved via a GoogleEarth map that showed the *exact pine
tree* the bird was in.

2. Regarding this particular Pacific Wren, please note that the bird appears to
be on private property. I'm not sure of that, but, needless to say, searchers
should err on the side of caution. When Hannah and Andrew and I found the bird,
it was eminently detectable from the road. No need to wander from the road
shoulder.

3. Back to technology. It's *really easy* to obtain and use GPS data online.
And this is coming from somebody who is hopeless with e-technology. (Just ask
Bryan Patrick...)

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Check out Birding magazine on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine