Hi all:

Ah, Bill Kosar posed an excellent question and Jeff Jones provided a bit of
grist for the mill.  Even though Bill's pictures were superb (unlike many of my
photo quizzes), they would make excellent quiz photos, because ravens are
probably one of the more intractable field-ID problems in North American
birding.  However, I believe that I can provide a definitive answer.

One of Jeff's points -- and it was a good one -- concerned wing:tail ratio.
However, this ratio is dependent upon two variables, not just wing length.
Additionally, both of those variables (wing, tail) are not independent, as
they're also both related to overall size of the bird.  Chihuahuan Raven (CHRA)
is smaller than Common Raven (CORA); with experience, one might have gotten an
indication from the bird's size relative to that of the post.  Of course, as
none of us saw the post in situ, we cannot use that hint, though I will say
that the bird struck me as large when I first viewed the pictures.

Back to wing:tail ratio -- CHRA may have relatively shorter wings than do CORA,
but they have much shorter tails -- even relatively.  Of course, tail length is
variable in ravens and, I suspect, probably linked to sex (with males having
longer, more wedge-shaped tails than do females), so if we could but know the
sex of the bird....  Sibley shows CHRA with a small distance between wingtip
and tail tip, with CORA having a longer distance.  Granted, this will vary
among individuals, but I think that the feature is, at least, suggestive, and
points to the bird being a CORA.  The date would also suggest CORA as the
default raven species for the location, as most CHRAs depart the state for the
winter.

But, the best indicator of ID is the bill length:nasal-bristle length ratio.
Bill's bird has an obviously long bill with the nasal bristles extending just
barely more than half the length.  On CHRA, these feathers usually extend well
over half the length of the bill on a much shorter (and usually deeper,
relative to length) bill.

The combination of very long bill, shortish nasal bristles, very long tail, and
seeming largeness indicates to me that the raven is a Common.

Sincerely,

Tony Leukering
Villas, NJ

"Jeff J Jones" <jjo...@jonestc.com> Dec 14 07:03PM -0700

HI Bill,

So what have you been hearing about this bird?

After doing more research, I am starting to think that the bluntness of the
bill-tip may be a better clue (e.g. chihuanhuan) than the rictal bristles.

I wondered, and could not find anything on the web to give me the answer, if
where the wingtip falls on the tail might be an indicator. Chihuahuan's are
supposed to have relatively shorter wings than Common's, therefore it might
be reasonable to expect that the folded wings would fall shorter on the
former. I have referenced BNA, and the standard field guides but no mention
on whether this can be used as a clue. Just that the former's wings are
shorter. And your photos show this detail quite well.

As I mentioned in my previous email, since we don't have voice and it didn't
kindly part its neck feathers for the photo; rictal bristles, bill tip and
now possibly (if someone can offer some info on this) where the wingtips
fall on the tail are what we have left. Anyone have any input on this
aspect? Or - we can just ask Tony L.

Jeff J Jones

( <mailto:jjo...@jonestc.com>; jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands