Hi folks,

I've been eyeing the Snowy Owl discussion from afar, and having seen a
few healthy and not-so-healthy Snowy Owls in the north east the past
few years I've been
wondering why the El Paso bird is sticking around.

>From what I gather, such birds are frequently unhealthy (e.g.
suffering from infections picked up in their new southerly and
urbanized environs) and/or they tend to
be significantly underweight.

After looking at Ron Green's great pics at
http://www.greensphotoimages.com/newimages (and those from a few other
folks), I was wondering if anyone else thought this
bird looked a little skinny??  I've not seen any healthy Snowy Owls in
warm weather, so maybe it's just not as fluffed up as what I'm used to
seeing under wintery NY
winter conditions?  Given the homeowner is feeding the bird, maybe
someone can provide him a remotely readable digital scale to mount on
his roof?? ;)

Then again, if the owl is being fed rats that too could explain why
it's staying put - finding a spot with food and water might also keep
the bird around. Or both reasons.

Finally, Tony mentioned aging and sexing the bird... taking a quick look at

  http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/snowy.htm

and

  http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/JFO/v051n02/p0149-p0160.pdf

I'd take the thin, lighter brown markings on the bird along with the
very white head, neck and upper breast to indicate that it's probably
a male - not quite sure on
age, but perhaps an adult?

I'd love to see more definitive details on age and sex determination
posted from someone w/ better resources on hand ;)

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado

Pueblo, CO
(currently Ithaca, NY)