Headed out to Pueblo Res this morning in an attempt to relocate some
of the rare birds reported earlier this month.  Didn't relocate the
Barrow's Golden-eye, Long-tailed Duck, or the Greater Black-backed
Gull, but we did have a few good birds.

At the boat ramp accessed from the SWA we had:
Horned Grebe (North of the boat ramp, flew west further into the SWA
later on)
Pied-billed Grebe
American Coot
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Red-tailed Hawk
Bald Eagle
Northern Flicker
Common Raven
Black-billed Magpie
Northern Shrike
Horned Lark
Mountain Bluebird
American Tree-Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco (several subspecies)
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark

At the fish hatchery:
Buffleheads
Gadwall
Ring-billed Gulls

At the river just east of the dam:
Bufflehead
Killdeer
Norther Flicker
Bald Eagle
Bushtits
Black-capped Chickadee

Along the north side road:
Canyon Towhee

At the day-use swim area:
Bald Eagle
Canada Goose
Bufflehead
Mountain Bluebird

At the ponds east of Pueblo Res:
Mallard
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser

At the southbound I-25 rest stop between Fountain and Eden we had a
bird slightly larger than the nearby Canyon Towhees flying away from
us.  Similar coloration on the back and tail, but it had distinct
whiteish tips to most of the tail feathers and the tail was fairly
wide.  We never got another look at it but I was thinking it might be
a Curve-billed Thrasher.  Anyone familiar with the area and what it
might have been?  Habitat was desert scrub.  Are there any other
thrashers in the area this time of year or other species with a
similar tail pattern?

Also, the flock of Bushtits that we had along the river all had
brownish face-masks under the eye and on the throat.  I don't see that
field mark in my book but I don't know what else they could have
been.  This normal or a mis-id?

Lastly, anyone know of a reliable Barn Owl along the front range?
Been a long time since I have seen one.

Thanks

Bill Blackburn
Boulder, Co