Cobirders,

This morning, I heard on the news that February has been even colder than January in Southeast Colorado, and January was far from mild in this part of the state. Although recent snows largely spared Bent County, it still seems more like winter than spring, with most lakes uncharacteristically still mostly frozen.

Stan Oswald and I visited marshes near Ft. Lyon today. We had an incoming flock of approximately 100 Sandhill Cranes noisily approach from the south around noon today. Spring is here, despite local weather conditions. Usually, the best place in Southeast Colorado to see early cranes is north of Lamar, where thousands roost at night in the shallow alkali waters of King Reservoir, with feeding groups gathering near Thurston Reservoir during the day. Equal numbers of Sandhill Cranes roost at night on the west end of John Martin Reservoir, visiting surrounding farm fields during the days to feed. These are a bit more difficult to pin down.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO