We have between 3 and 4 pairs of mature bald eagles, as well as at least 6
juveniles on the lake. They have been here for at least two weeks, which is
very unusual for us. Usually we see only one or two pairs in the spring, and
they only hang around for a few hours. They are catching fish as they come out
from under the ice. At least one pair and a juvenile are hanging out in the
cottonwood tree near my chicken house. Do I need to be concerned for my hens?
They keep circling the hen house. I've flushed them from the tree several times
in the past couple of days (not deliberately, just by going to check on the
hens). Haven't lost a hen from them yet, but then it has been a bad year for
losing hens to raptors.

The lake is about 70% free of ice now. There are also lots of gulls and at
least two kinds of geese on the lake. I haven't see much of anything else yet,
but most of the action is near the northwest and northern shores which are
difficult to get to.

Pauli - Highlandlake/Mead, Weld County