Denver Field Ornithologists
March 2010 Field Trips

Saturday, March 20            Birding by Snowshoe: Boulder's High Country
Leader:   Bill Schmoker, mailto: bill.schmo...@gmail.com.   Meet leader at
the Brainard Lake Trailhead above Ward (http://tinyurl.com/Brainard) at
0800.   Be prepared to snowshoe up the fairly steep approach to Lefthand
Reservoir and the Krummholz above (approx. 2 miles, gaining nearly 1000 feet)
looking for montane birds along the way. Once above treeline we will search for
White-tailed Ptarmigan in their winter plumage. Snowshoes required, poles
highly suggested. For snowshoe rental check out local retailers such as REI (in
Boulder, www.rei.com/stores/44). Dress warmly in layers for the
high-altitude winter environment; warm boots, gloves, hat, a suitable daypack,
lunch
and water required. RSVP to Bill by email (above) so you can be contacted if
weather or snow conditions necessitate changes in the plan.

Sunday, March 21             Pueblo Area
Leader: Paul Slingsby, (303) 422-3728 mailto:pasling...@comcast.net.   Meet
leader at 0600 at Yosemite St. at C-470: from I-25 exit County Line Road,
go west to Yosemite. Follow Yosemite south as it curves around to the last
right-hand turn before C-470.   Park in the SE corner of the lot there.
Full-day trip with easy hiking; bring lunch, water, and a scope and two-way
radio if you have them.   Please be sure to register with leader beforehand.

Saturday, March 27            Bear Creek Lake Park
Leader: Mike Henwood, (303) 716-8551. Meet at 0800 at the entrance to the
Park (SE corner of C-470 at Morrison Road).   We should see some early
migrants such as Tree Swallow and Bluebirds (all 3 species were seen on this
trip
in 2009) plus nesting owls, hawks, and a good variety of waterfowl.   This
is a half-day trip with easy hiking on some uneven trails.   Bring water,
snacks, and dress for the unpredictable Spring foothills weather.

Sunday, March 28             Fountain Creek Regional Park
Leader: Sue Schulman, (303) 773-3540. Meet leader at 0800 at the Park
Visitors' Center: from I-25 take exit 132 east to Hwy. 85 and follow it around
the entrance at CCattail Marsh. We'll check the creek and feeders, then
walk the trails looking for early migrants and waterfowl.   After lunch we'll
wend our way northward to Big Johnson Reservoir for gulls, grebes, and more
waterfowl.   Full day trip, well-suited to beginning birders.   Bring lunch,
water, and a scope and radio if you have them.   Please call Sue to register
and to arrange carpools.

The DFO board is requesting more volunteers to support the field trip
scheduling task. Call Chuck Thornton-Kolbe at 303.777.7588 if you can help with
the phone calling.

Scheduled by Meredith Anderson

Don't forget to renew your Colorado State Parks Pass and Habitat
Stamp for 2010.   The Habitat Stamp is no longer required for birders
in Colorado.  However, the money does go toward protecting wildlife
habitat in the state, and having the Stamp includes coverage from
the Colorado Search and Rescue Fund.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/HabitatStamp

Submitted by        Chris A. Blakeslee - DFO Board Member
                    Centennial, Colorado
                    corvidc...@aol.com