Hi all,

While heading up to Wray with my WINGS tour, we stopped at the cemetery on
the north side of Burlington. We experienced what was among my best thirty
minutes of sky watching in eastern Colorado including an early MISSISSIPPI
KITE, Broad-winged Hawk, Peregrine Falcon, and Prairie Falcon. Notes from my
eBird checklist are below. Just to the north of here we found a flock of at
least 1900 Yellow-headed Blackbirds.

Location:     Burlington Cemetery
Observation date:     4/23/10
Notes:     Stopped to check the cemetery. A few landbirds, but the real
highlight was the amazing migration taking place overhead. While driving to
the cemetery we first detected an adult Broad-winged Hawk. As we scanned
overhead at the cemetery we had a number of migrants, highlighted by a
MISSISSIPPI KITE, an adult Peregrine Falcon and a Prairie Falcon. Also lots
of pelicans (flock of 79 and 26) and a very unexpected flyover American
Wigeon. Then OBSERVERS: WINGS Tour led by Chris Wood with Valarie Barnes,
Mary Case, James Goodwin, and Nancy Magnusson.
Number of species:     35

American Wigeon     1 flyover.
Mallard     1
Ring-necked Pheasant     2
American White Pelican     105 (79 and 26)
Turkey Vulture     3
Osprey     1
Mississippi Kite     1     **Rare. Early. A single adult flew over in direct
comparison with Prairie Falcon and Northern Harrier. Bird appeared falcon
like but with more slender wings, narrower forked tail and more fluid
buoyant wing beats. At this distance appeared grayish overall with paler
head (crown). Identified by flight style and shape, which was easy given
good raptor flight at the time.
Northern Harrier     3
Cooper's Hawk     1
Broad-winged Hawk     1     Adult seen in flight. First detected and
identified from within the town of Burlington, but we could still see it
when we arrived at the cemetery.
Swainson's Hawk     7
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Peregrine Falcon     1     **Locally rare. My first in the county. The first
raptor that we noticed after the Broad-winged in what proved to be an
amazing hawk flight. Adult.
Prairie Falcon     1     Flyover.
Killdeer     1
Rock Pigeon     1
Eurasian Collared-Dove     40
Mourning Dove     6
Great Horned Owl     1
Horned Lark     1
Red-breasted Nuthatch     2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
Townsend's Solitaire     1
American Robin     25
Cedar Waxwing     18
Orange-crowned Warbler     1
Spotted Towhee     1
Chipping Sparrow     9
Brewer's Sparrow     1
White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's)     5
Western Meadowlark     3
Common Grackle     5
House Finch     1
Pine Siskin     45
House Sparrow     5

Cheers,
Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu