Cobirders,

Despite the wind, our Birding for Beginners 101 group had a nice assortment of
birds (55) today at Fountain Creek Regional Park.

What caught my eye most was the number of hawks that were slowly migrating into
the strong north headwind. I surmise that the wind provided lift and they still
could almost effortlessly continue with their migration.  We saw Osprey,
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, and Peregrine Falcon moving north.

In the sheltered areas of the riparian woodlands, there were many Yellow-rumped
Warblers.  I saw somewhere between 50 - 70 warblers - all YRWA, but it made us
hopeful that we would find some other warbler species and of birds to soon come.

Other good birds included Double-crested Cormorant, Snowy Egret, Black-crowed
Night-heron.  The Yellow-crowned Night-heron could not be relocated. We had a
good variety of dabbling ducks including all three teal species.  At the nature
center pond north bridge we saw a Sora.  Also saw Franklin's Gull, two Wilson's
Snipe, a Great Horned Owl with two owlets, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Say's
Phoebe, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Chipping Sparrows, and still a few straggling
winter White-crowned Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.

Based on past records at Fountain Creek Park, migratory passerine birds should
really start showing up this coming week - April 30 on through the third week
of May.

Good birding,

Ken Pals

Colorado Springs