After a dentist appointment this morning I had a bit of time off and checked on the summering Pacific Loon at McIntosh Lake in Longmont. (http://www.coloradocountybirding.com/county/bird_a_county.php?name=Boulder#356 )

Unlike my viewing in July, this time the bird was quite close to the trail, near where it transitions up onto the dam on the SW side. It variously slept, preened, and best of all, gave some tentative calls in reply to my weak yodel. It was neat to see this basic-plumaged bird in comparison to the dark alternate-plumaged Pacific Loons I saw near Barrow, AK last week.

I made a little digiscoped video of the bird for those interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCBiYoEu_Co

Enjoy- Bill Schmoker, Longmont

p.s. Thanks to Ted, Mark, Maggie, & Peter for the Boulder Res American Golden-Plover updates. Finally connected with the little guy after 4 tries. Funny to watch it hunkered down in a depression, then walking around for a while, then hunkering down again out of sight in a mud crater big enough to conceal it completely except for its dark crown.

           • Bill Schmoker •