Folks,

I birded around Fountain Creek Regional Park today with my dad and we
stumbled upon a very nice flock. It certainly didn't seem December-ish as we
found first a *Pine Warbler* (a bright adult male, no less), then a *Pacific
Wren*, followed briefly by a *'Red' Fox Sparrow*, and finally, of all
things, an *Ovenbird*. They were all basically in the same flock with
Juncos, Chickadees, Kinglets, 1 or 2 Yellow-rumps, Creepers, Nuthatches and
the like. We tried to re-find the Fox Sparrow but it evaded us.

These birds were all on the north end of the park, just south of the sewage
ponds. Further south, there was an adult *Harris's Sparrow* feeding along
the pathway near Rice's Pond with Juncos, Song and White-crowned Sparrows. A
duck that was black (not to be confused with a Black Duck) flew from the
river and over to Rice's. I believe it was a melanistic female Mallard, but
what seemed odd was the bill was dark also. I always thought melanism does
not affect bill or leg color. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
--
Daniel Maynard
Manitou Springs, CO