I think the main premise of the article Hugh posted from Birding was to try
to spark a new way to find birders to be more of an economic force. User
fees, stamps and the like have generally lost traction. If birders were more
of an economic force, agencies, parks, private landowners, etc. would take
the birding community seriously by recognizing the value of birders and in
turn the value of preserving the birds and the places the birds need to
survive.

It's unfortunate that birders haven't really realized the potential force
for conservation that the community could be with a third of Americans
calling themselves bird watchers. Maybe there are too many groups pulling
people in many directions (I think I belong to 4 or 5). Whereas a small
hunting advocacy group, Ducks Unlimited, has probably done more for bird
habitat in North America with nearly 60 million acres of wetlands conserved.
Thankfully we have groups like ABC, RMBO, Audubon and Cornell working for
the rest of the avifauna, and they do a great deal with budgets that are
very limited.

Thanks for the interesting discussion,

--
Scott