Hi Scott,

Some additional thoughts. One thought is the cyclic nature of the
populations of small owls including E. Screech-Owl, thus the species
may be in a low population cycle (due to a loss of prey species,
predators) and it could rebound.  With the continuing urbanization of
the Front Range, Boulder's habitats may be increasing isolated from
regions that support possibly more stable populations of this species.
New recruits may not be finding their way into suitable habitats
around Boulder. I also think I personally seeing a continuing loss of
mature cottonwoods in the Boulder/St. Vrain Creek drainages, further
limiting potential nest sites for this species. There once were stands
of cottonwoods that seemed to provide a dense closed canopy along the
creek. Now it seems like only crack willows remain in places where I
use to detect E. Screech-Owls in cottonwood stands.

Time will tell. An interesting subject.

Best,

Scott Severs
Longmont