Birders,
The Boulder Bird Club field trip this afternoon visited the Valmont Reservoir
complex and Walden Ponds. The wind made scoping the Valmont lakes pretty much
unfeasible. An adult FERRUGINOUS HAWK at least gave us a quick show. The most
significant finding was the absence of the Tundra Swan.
We headed to Walden Ponds to escape the wind. This turned out to be a good
decision since Cottonwood Marsh is packed with waterfowl. Last night's rain has
melted most of the ice in the area, just in time for the waterfowl to utilize
our waterbodies on their north-bound travels. Down where the path meets Boulder
Creek (NW corner of the treatment plant), we found the WINTER WREN that haunts
the willow tangle. After searching for that bird on multiple occasions,
including a miss during my fuel-less Big Year a while back, I was really
pleased to finally track this little guy down. A YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (sounded
Myrtle-ish) briefly alighted in the treetops while we watched the WIWR.
Good birding,

Christian Nunes
pajaro...@hotmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/christian_nunes/