Tony,

Thank you for your detailed and thought provoking post. We agree that without
genetic work on suspect birds, we, as field observers, really have no idea what
the parentage of odd ABDU's are. When describing the birders' tendency to call
ABDU x MALL, you say, "there was no way to determine that the ABDU that they
saw with white trailing edges were actually hybrids." Touché. Most of the time,
there is no way to determine if they were not actually hybrids. The "swamping"
of the ABDU gene pool by MALL is a serious issue (for ABDU's). Even a bird
described as having a white trailing edge to the secondaries in 1834 is
suspicious, since presumably hybridization was occurring that long ago, but
perhaps not at such a rate as we see today. When exactly did the swamping
start? More importantly, why did it start? What was the situation that allowed
the ABDU to deviate from MALL or MALL ancestor, and then to recombine in modern
times?

The history of this issue is full of uncertainty and non-consensus, and Kirby
et al. (http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/diplume/index.htm) makes a
valiant effort to work things out using wing morphology. Based on their
identification key, "the proportion of American Black Duck × Mallard hybrids to
the American Black Duck parental population (the ratio: hybrids/[hybrids +
American Black Ducks]) may therefore be closer to 0.132 than 0.056, the
historically reported value." So, hybrids are more prevalent in wild
populations than previously reported. And according to their key, it's the
presence/absence of white anterior to the speculum, and the number of dark
feathers on the underwing, which determines a hybrid. And they also make the
point that some animals just can't be classified. It's unfortunate that they
didn't present measurements of the thickness of white areas on the wing, which
I think would be useful.

So, I may be at fault for being too liberal with calling ABDU x MALL, but this
is a conscious decision based on the fact that I don't believe we know what is
really happening when looking through the bins.

I agree now that a bird with a thin trailing edge on the secondaries is
acceptable for pure ABDU:
http://www.billhubick.com/photos/birds/american_black_duck.php (note "typical"
hybrid at bottom of page)
http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/american-black-duck-anas-rubripes/male-preening-showing-speculum

And what I really like to see:
http://sdakotabirds.com/species/photos/american_black_duck.jpg

Birds that I am very suspicious of birds that look like this:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=803208

It's a thin line between "pure" and "not pure." Can the human, with the tools
at hand (optics->eyeballs->brain), really make the call with confidence? I've
learned a lot from this, and next time I study an American Black Duck with
white on the trailing edge of the speculum, I'll make sure I take an even
closer look at the anterior edge of the speculum and the amount of dark
feathering on the underwing, as well as the other typical ID criteria like tail
color, bill color, and curling of upper tail coverts. Like with so many other
identification conundrums, physical evidence would be more useful than just a
human's description of what they saw.

Christian Nunes