All is set for the annual Monte Vista Crane Festival this coming weekend. Most
of it is free and open to the public. There should be something for everyone
from thousands of cranes to bird programs to crafts fair. Even the weather
appears at this point to be good. Lots to do and programs for kids as well.

You can find out more by googling the festival and schedule of events. One
program note is that Kirk Navo had to cancel his program on bats due to family
matters. Instead, I will present the program on Colorado Owls on Saturday at
1:00 pm.

Birds are pouring in. I estimate that about 7,000 to 9,000 cranes are in, plus
another 3,000 to 5,000 Cackling and Canada Geese. If you are interested in rare
birds, I will have a Rare Bird Flipchart at the Crafts Fair. Please feel free
to write in what you are seeing so others may share in these birds.

My wife Lisa and I birded the Refuge this morning and found some unusual birds.
One Greater white-fronted Goose was mixed in with Cackling and Canada geese on
the Turnouts area. A female Wood Duck was on the auto tour loop. Other good
birds were Canvasback, Redhead, Great Horned Owl, Mtn Bluebirds, Bufflehead,
and Northern Harrier.

Hope to see you there.

John Rawinski
MV Crane Fest Committee member/volunteer