Denver Field Ornithologists
April 2011 Field Trips

Saturday, April 9         Star K Ranch
Leader:  Mary Ann Bonnell, 303-739-2428.
Meet at 0830 at Morrison Nature Center at Star K Ranch, off East Smith Road
between Chambers and Airport Blvd.  Please register in advance and get
specific directions from Mary Ann.   Short 1⁄2 day trip.   Those who wish to
prolong the experience can stay and enjoy the Nature Center and the many
feeders.   Please register in advance
so you can be notified in the unlikely event of cancellation.  Enjoy the
Sand Creek corridor while looking for early migrant songbirds and raptors.

Sunday, April 10         McCabe Meadows (Formerly Parker Regional)
Leader:  Mary Cay Burger, 303.771.3431.
Enjoy a spring walk along Cherry Creek bike path and around the meadow and
pond.  Meet Mary Cay at 0800 in the McCabe Meadows parking lot.   It is
located 1.3 miles south of Parker Road and Main Street intersection in Parker.

The parking lot is on the west side of Parker Road.   Turn onto Indian Pipe
Lane, then immediately turn right into parking lot.  Bring water.   We will
be away from the cars.   Time and weather permitting we will also check the
pond at Main Street and Cherry Creek.  Plan on half to three-quarters of a
day.   Bring lunch if you can stay the full time.

Saturday, April 16           South Mesa Trail
Leader:  Paula Hansley, 720-890-2628 or (cell) 303-263-1714.
Meet at 0800 at RTD parking lot at southeast corner of intersection of
State Highways 93 and 170 (Marshall Road) for carpooling.   1⁄2 day trip.
Expect to see foothills species on an easy walk through shrubby, deciduous, and
pine woodland.   Bring snack and water.

Wednesday, April 20       Chatfield Reservoir
Leader: Bob Shade, 303-975-2476.
Meet at 0700 at Swim Beach just after the west entrance to Chatfield State
Park.   Park pass required (can pay for the day at the entrance kiosk).   1⁄
2 day.   Bring water, but lunch, snacks optional.   Short drives and easy
walking about the park.   See the first passerines or waders, maybe even an
Osprey.

Saturday, April 23          Longmont Area
Leader:  Chris Owens, 303 422-3728.
Meet at 0730 and bird until mid-afternoon.   Meet at Jim Hamm Nature
Center.   From I-25 take Exit 240, go west 4 miles on CO 119 to Boulder-Weld
County Line Road, then 2 miles north to park on the left at E 17th Avenue.
Bring
lunch, water, sunscreen.   We’ll be looking for early migrants as well as
area residents.   Call Chris or e-mail her at
kri...@mindspring.com  if you need further information.

Sunday, April 24              Fountain Creek Regional Park
Leader: Paul Slingsby, (303) 422-3728 pasling...@comcast.net .  Please
register with the leader beforehand.
Meet the leader at 0630 at the southeast corner of the Great Indoors
parking lot.   We will carpool from there.   This is just north of C470 on
Yosemite.   From Denver by I-25 use exit 195, and go West on County Line Road
Yosemite.   Take Yosemite south to the Great Indoors store, which will be on
the right (west).   Fountain Creek Regional Park has good trails for easy
walking near ponds, wetlands, grassland, and creek.  Spring migration should be
underway, so expect surprises.   Bring lunch.  Telescope and 2-way
radios will be useful if you wish to bring them.  Plan to be back at the
carpool meeting place by 1700 at the latest.

Thursday, April 28        Birding Castle Rock and other South Metro Areas
Leader:  Chuck Thornton-Kolbe.
Meet ten minutes before 7:30 AM at northeast corner of the K-Mart parking
lot just about 1⁄2 mile south of I-25 and Broadway (near corner of Alameda
and Broadway).   We will form carpools at the K-Mart parking lot.  Please get
there by 7:20 AM.   If you want to meet us at the Castle Rock Museum, please
be there at 8:00 AM.   This trip is part of a celebration of Castle Rock,
sponsored by the local historical society and Denver Field Ornithologists.
Direction to their location can be found on their website at
http://castlerockmuseum.org/

We will be looking for early migrants and other birds in the area all day
long.   This is a bit of a first time adventure, but we will have guidance
from some other area birders (including John Drummond though he will be in
Florida).   We will likely start in Castle Rock and bird a few sites there and
nearby.   After lunch, we will wander into El Paso or   Douglas County to
find a few more goodies.  Some participants may want to go to the Castle Rock
Museum and enjoy their bird exhibit.  This will be an all day long trip or a
half-day, as is your choice.

Bring:  The day will likely be nice, but please bring layers of clothing
and coats (including rain gear), binoculars, scope (if you have one), lunch,
snacks, and beverages.   Bring breakfast if you have not eaten before
leaving.   Also two way radios and cell phones can be helpful to support
car-to-car
communication.   Bring about $10 to $15 for your gas share if leaving from
Denver or otherwise $5 to $10 if leaving from Castle Rock.

If bad weather, come to parking lot, and we will go for it (and maybe
consider an alternative plan).   No need to RSVP, but do show up on a timely
basis to one of these two starting locations.

Saturday, April 30         Rocky Mountain Arsenal
Leader:  David Rhoades, 303 424-8633.
We’ll bird from 0800-1300, expecting to see grassland birds, ducks,
raptors, possible
early migrants, likely swallows, and possible burrowing owls.  Space is
limited by the size of the passenger van that we’ll use.   Meet at the parking
lot of the Visitor Center.  Call David to reserve a space and to get
directions.  Lunch optional (BYO).

Scheduled by Carol Blackard

Submitted by             Chris A. Blakeslee - DFO Board Member
                         Centennial, Colorado
                         corvidc...@aol.com