From: Joyce Takamine
To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Sent: May 27, 2011 4:51 PM
Subject: [cobirds] Boulder Red-headed Woodpecker

I was able to see the Red-headed Woodpecker at 61st and Hygiene Rd.
I was driving south on 61s almost at Hygiene when the woodpecker flew in
front of me, flew across Hygiene and landed on a power pole.  After attending
the team challenge at the CFO convention, I knew that it should have a large
patch of white on the wing and I saw that as it flew in front of the car.  When
it landed on the pole I got my bins on it and there was the Red-head.

Thanks to Pam and Linda for posting it.

Red-headed Woodpeckers seem to be on the decline at least from the first
Breeding Bird Atlas.
Each of the blocks that I have completed listed Red-headed Woodpeckers in the
first atlas,
but I have not been able to find one in my blocks for the second atlas.

Joyce Takamine
Boulder