Greeley birders Joe Himmel and Dick Maxfield drove down to Chatfield today
and just phoned me. They are looking at the Western Gull at the Swim Beach,
after searching its usual haunts for over an hour. I am really glad that
their efforts were rewarded.
As many of you know, Joe Himmel is a retired vocal music professor at the
University of Northern Colorado.
He has birded "forever" in northeast Colorado,  with special affection for
Lower Latham and  Riverside Reservoirs,
as well as Crow Valley.
He discovered the nifty and productive migrant trap (now known as "Norma's
Grove") decades
before it received its current appellation.
Joe was the first ever recipient of the Colorado Field Ornithologists
Lifetime
Achievement Award, and he celebrated his 90th birthday last winter. THANKS
for the update, and keep
on birding, Joe Himmel!
Joe Roller, Denver