Denver Field Ornithologists
July 2011 Field Trips

July Field Trips, continued
Saturday, July 16         Woodpecker Trip - Sedalia to Cheesman
Leaders: Chris Blakeslee, 303-694-4670, and Kirk Huffstater
          Limit of 15 birders; must make a reservation.
Meet leaders in parking lot of Sedalia Post Office at 0600.   Take Hwy. 85
to Sedalia; turn southwest on Hwy. 67, drive through Sedalia over two major
sets of railroad tracks. The U.S. Post Office is on the northwest (right)
side of Hwy. 67.   Group will carpool from here.   Bring lunch and water for a
fun filled day chasing woodpeckers and any other mountain birds that may
cross our paths.   Bring clothing for changeable mountain weather.   Full day
trip.   We will target 8 woodpecker species including N. Three-toed,
Lewis's, and Red-headed Woodpeckers.   Finding the Lewis's and Red-headed
Woodpeckers will involve fording a creek (no bridge), climbing steep hillsides,
and
climbing over downed trees at 7000+ feet elevation in the Hayman Burn area.
You need to be in good shape for this rigorous 2-3 mile hike!

Sunday, July 17            Rocky Mountain National Park
Leader: Norm Erthal, 303-917-2596
Meet at 0700 at the Division of Wildlife parking lot at 6060 N. Broadway.
>From I-25 take exit for 58th Avenue, go west 2 blocks to Broadway, then
north 2 blocks to the parking lot of your right.   We will arrange carpooling
and specific spots based on where birds have been recently found.   Group
will bird until mid-afternoon.   Wear boots and bring lunch.

Saturday, July 23         Wilderness on Wheels
          (*This is a fully wheelchair accessible trip with pacing to
match!)
Leaders: Chris Blakeslee, 303-694-4670, and Niña Routh, 303-987-8687
Meet leaders at 0900 at Wilderness on Wheels, Grant, Colorado.   Wilderness
on Wheels is located 21⁄2 miles west of Grant on the south side of Hwy. 285
at the foot of Kenosha Pass.   There is a big sign.   Wilderness has a
1-mile boardwalk through riparian and spruce/fur habitats, including active
beaver ponds.   This boardwalk was built for wheel- chair accessibility.   The
group will also visit the tiny Bailey Great Blue Heron Rookery. Bring snacks
and water for this easy-going half day of mid-summer birding.

Sunday, July 24          Golden Gate Canyon State Park
Leader: Randy Lentz, 303-680-3381
Meet at 0730 at Park Visitor center, just west of C-93, north of Golden.
Golden Gate’s various habitats attract a wide diversity of birdlife.   Main
group will bird until lunch. Birding after lunch optional based on weather.

Saturday, July 30          Mount Evans
Leader: Bob Shade, 303-975-2476
Meet at 0800 at Filius Park.   Go west on I-70 to Evergreen exit, then to
first Bergen Park turn off and go right to Filius Park.   From there we will
consolidate cars to drive up to Echo Lake and Summit Lakes (fee).   Bring
lunch and clothes for all kinds of weather. (We may go as high as 14,000
feet.)   Chance to see high mountain birds including Pine Grosbeaks, Wilson
Warblers, and hummingbirds.   Also, may see a variety of mammals. Will bird
until
about mid-afternoon.

Scheduled by Jill Boice

Submitted by             Chris A. Blakeslee - DFO Board Member
                         Centennial, Colorado
                         corvidc...@aol.com