Just got back from birding California and had a great time. The pelagic trip
out of Santa Barbara was especially exciting. Laysan Albatross and Red-billed
Tropicbird were some of the best among other great birds.

But back in the San Luis Valley, where alien sightings abound, I happened upon
at least 4 Cassins Sparrows singing and skylarking in a field near my home
south of Monte Vista. To see them, go to the 1E and 2S road intersection just
SE of Monte Vista, and then go about 0.7 miles farther east and look into the
alfalfa field on the north side of the road. It was really hopping with them,
and may be related to recent rains here and the generel irruption of them this
year.  I know one atlaser reported them earlier this summer. Bet they can be
found in all sorts of places for those getting out and about.

Have noticed bird songs have subsided here. On Friday, Blanca wetlands had a
good number of shorebirds but none too unusual for this time. Bairds and Least
Sandpipers dominated.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO