This morning we were able to confirm that which we have suspected all summer
long...that we have had breeding Yellow-billed Cuckoos in our yard. They are no
longer calling...so it was just plain lucky that the juvenile lit in the open
this morning. Told from adults by weaker tail patterning and slightly shorter
tail, bill is now yellow, as is orbital ring of eye, however it lacks bolder
black around the eye. Do not know how often they have been confirmed as
breeding here...or how common they are to this area of the state. Would
appreciate feedback on this. The bird was is a lifer for us and we have greatly
enjoyed watching them.

Polly Wren and Paul Neldner
La Veta
Huerfano County