Early this afternoon (12:58 PM) in mild, sunny weather, I hiked up to
Dinosaur Ridge
and saw a Greater Roadrunner. This was a great experience and it was
especially fun,
as it took a little detective work to close it on it.
The bird was first seen last August by the sharp-eyed Dino Ridge tour
leaders who guide and educate visitors through the exhibits of
footprints, fossils, etc of birds' distant ancestors - the dinosaurs.
Subsequent to the first sighting, the bird was seen about once a month
and photographed
well. These Dino Guides posted clear photos of the roadrunner on their
Facebook page,
where comments about its ID soon appeared. "Is it a roadrunner? Maybe
a Scaled Quail?"
then a consensus as to the correct ID emerged.
The missing link between that Facebook page and the field class
fraternity turned out
to be Cole Wild. He was somehow scanning Facebook, when he looked at
the Face of the roadrunner on a Facebook page and emailed me with the
news and an implicit, "Go get it!"
My first thought was that this photo was on the Facebook site of a
Dino Ridge in Arizona or Texas. Having been born in the middle of the
last century, I did not know much about FB, or even who owned that
Facebook site, so I sought assistance from ornithology's answer to
NextGen, Marcel Such. He helpfully took an interest, took pity and
sent me the Dino Ridge phone number.
I called there and spoke to Erin and Amber, who were extremely keen
and helpful. I sent them
a CFO rare bird report form, and they will be relieved to learn that I
will now be able
to fill it out myself.
Sue, the Dino Ridge bus driver, had seen the bird twice on January
5th. I made a couple of
futile hikes into the area, then I enlarged the search party by
calling a few avid Jeffco listers who both lived nearby and had the
time to visit the Ridge repeatedly. Now we had a search party, but
when Dick Schottler and Mark Chavez and I hiked up there on Saturday,
we struck out again. Ira Sanders was out of town and Cole Wild could
not venture down from his boreal residence. I was concerned that if
everyone knew about this bird, there was sure to be a message on a
secondary site that the bird had been seen the day before.

Finally after a long search yesterday and again today, I saw the bird,
right where it has been seen
most often by the Dino guides, and also by a frequent hiker I ran into
today. He has seen it three times since October and did not realize
that it was rare here.

The route to the site is to go to roughly a mile south on Morrison
Road from I-70, and park
in one of the few spots where Alameda Avenue slices off to the
southeast. (This happens to be
just opposite the northern entrance to Red Rocks Park). Alameda is
closed to vehicles between that parking site and Rooney Road on the
east side of Dino Ridge, but is open to bikers and hikers.
Walk south up Alameda to the where it makes a hairpin turn and dives
back down the eastern slope. The best area to wait and wait and look
and look and wait is the 50 yard stretch of the rocky slope that lies
just before the hairpin turn. It has been seen on the east side, but
usually is spotted on the west side of that hairpin, where it often
sits and suns. A few minutes after I saw it today, it swiftly darted
(cartoon-like) across the road and up  the west side of the ridge,
south of Alameda. In that area there are far fewer hikers and bikers,
but is difficult to see there from the road.

Other notes. I quizzed a couple of hikers who walk the ridge trail
4-5 times weekly over the past year, they have never seen it. They
know the bird from having lived in Arizona. So I suspect that it is
more often on the slopes instead of the ridge itself.
I asked Dave Leatherman what this roadrunner might be eating through
the dark winter, and he suspected that its diet has switched away from
usual herps to small rodents, perhaps the same grasshoppers that
support our February returning bluebirds, and even juniper berries and
seeds. I wondered whether it might eat dog-food, but housing and pets
are scarce in the area. None of the local ranchers had seen it around
their outbuildings.
There are a few records of Greater Roadrunner north of its usual
southeast CO range. For example in 1946, one was spotted in Logan
County, another just last summer in Morgan County. There are several
reports, mostly far back in time, from the greater Denver metro area
and Clear Creek County. There are
no valid Jefferson County records, just an unverified report from a
non-birder. One of the hikers I met today had seen one south of
Boulder a couple of summers ago, but could not recall many details.

I will be going back tomorrow, Tuesday, if anyone wants to join me.
Please send me a personal email at jroll...@gmail.com, so I will know
the size of the group. I can then decide whether we are a small
enough party to park where I described above, or whether we might park
at one of the park-and-rides
at the junction of I-70 and Morrison Road (eg, the spot where we park
to go up to the Hawkwatch site) and carpool to Alameda.
I hope to search again on Saturday with those who work weekdays.
Joe Roller, Denver