Hi Everyone--

I wandered a bit around Boulder, Weld, and Larimer Counties today 2/25. My
most interesting bird was an adult dark-morph Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk along
Niwot Road just west of US 287. As I passed by, it flew off its utility pole
to the ground and tussled with an unseen victim.

I stopped at Cottonwood Marsh and Victory Park in hopes of seeing two
different swans, but only the Tundra Swan at Cottonwood Marsh was visible.
The wind at the Valmont power plant was horrendous. Two Ferruginous Hawks
flying in large circles over the east pond were the best thing flying.

I also stopped by the North Teller Farm Trailhead off Valmont Road. Sparrows
were lacking, I assume due to the wind. Farther east, I watched a flock of
100 or so Great-tailed Grackles in a feedlot off the south side of highway
52 between WCR 3 and WCR 3-1/4. This seemed like rather a lot.

A stop at Wellington SWA produced no owls (I was there from 4:30 until
almost 6 pm), but there was one blue-morph Snow Goose hiding among the
cacklers.

Mark Miller
Longmont, CO