Birders,

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of Melody Tempel. Birders will know Gale and Melody Tempel as owners of the ranch in Northeast Bent County that included "Tempel Grove", a well-known migrant trap that I will unabashedly call my favorite place to look for migrant landbirds in Colorado. Gale and Melody were fabulous hosts, and, for me personally, great friends. Melody fought a valiant fight with melanoma that ended on 3/25/12. Almost every birder in Colorado has stories of the great birds that they saw here. My favorite was a Louisiana Waterthrush, observed and photographed in April 2011. I was lucky enough to spend an evening with Melody and Gale two weeks ago at a dinner with our mutual friends Lance and Norma Verhoeff. Please keep Gale and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

I started my work day today with views of the previously-reported immature female Snowy Owl at John Martin Reservoir in Bent County. This has been one of the most reliable birds of this species I know of in Colorado. It has been in essentially the same location for 12 straight days on cliffs, beaches and promontories one and one-half miles west of Point Overlook on the north side of John Martin Reservoir, dating back to March 15th.

I walked around Neenoshe Reservoir in Kiowa County today. I had two Snowy Plovers on my walk, a bit too early in my estimation. Less surprising were seven Bonaparte's Gulls and one Franklin's Gull. For birders looking for shorebirds here, my recommendation is driving in to the boat ramp (not serviceable) on the west side of the lake, and concentrating on the northwest corner of the reservoir.

I stopped at the Verhoeff Reservoirs in Bent County on my way back to John Martin Reservoir. These lakes are private and access is not granted to birders (except, sometimes, during the "Bent on Birding" festival in May) I had a large flock of Long-billed Dowitchers, some reasonably-expected Baird's Sandpipers, and two extremely early Least Sandpipers.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO