Four of us gathered at Chico Basin Ranch, 1 from Tucson, 1 from Olympia, WA and
2 from Boulder to have a good, HOT weekend of birding.  While the weather was
not exactly hot, the birding was good, not great, but good.  With the help of
House Sparrows, we hit 100 species.  Thanks to John Drummond who gave us
excellent directions to find 1 Mountain Plover and 1 chick (of course, there
might have been more because she was mostly on the nest).  Thursday night
camping was the foreshadowing of the gale force winds that prevented Steve and
Nancy from opening the nets on Friday.  Nevertheless, we persevered and had
some nice birds that day and then Saturday.  A few highlights or FOS:

Banding Station:

Worm-eating Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak
4 Bobwhites (so tame from their release, I almost stepped on 1 male)
Blue Grosbeak
Orchard Oriole
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Plumbeous Vireo

Headquarters on Fri and Sat (was dead except for Saturday afternoon):

Solitary Sandpiper
Northern Waterthrush
Eared Grebe
FOS Western Wood Peewee

Rose Pond over 2 days (always changing):

FOS Green-tailed Towhee

Twin Ponds (both of these species listed as "rare"):

Wood Duck (pair)
Double-crested Cormorant (juvenile plumage)

Then returning to Big Johnson Res (at the suggestion of Tom and Skylar Bol)

3 Common Loons (2 in breeding plumage, 1 in non-breeding plumage)
(they had a Caspian Tern, but we didn't see it)

Pond on Squirrel Creek Road just before Big J Res:

3 Willets (breeding plumage)
1 Greater Yellowlegs
3 Least Sandpipers
1 Red-necked Phalarope in group of 14 Wilson's

Finally, a quick tourist stop at Garden of the Gods which in the 5 minute stop
turned up 2 Prairie Falcons chasing a screaming at a Peregrin Falcon.  That all
made my heart race.  In all, a fabulous trip.  One of the highlights was being
present for Nancy and Steve at the banding station as they processed a lovely
Long-eared Owl female that had the bad idea of flying into the net.  That was
truly awesome.

Cara Stiles
Boulder, CO