Eight of us spent 4 days on the Comanche, mainly in Carrizo, Cottonwood,
Picture and Holt Canyons, as well as the Everett Ranch, where we stayed
overnights.  We compiled a list of about 68 species, of which the highlights,
in the order we saw them, were:  Loggerhead shrike - Everett Ranch
Black-chinned hummingbird - Everett Ranch  Yellow-headed blackbird - Everett
Ranch  Curve-billed thrasher - Everett Ranch  Eastern phoebe - Carrizo  Cliff
swallow - Carrizo  Golden eagle - Cottonwood vicinity  Ladderback woodpecker -
Cottonwood  Bewick's wren - Cottonwood  Rose-breasted grosbeak - Cottonwood
Blue grosbeak - Cottonwood  Mississippi kite - Cottonwood  Red-headed
woodpecker- Cottonwood  Chihuahuan raven - Cottonwood and elsewhere
Long-billed curlew - road to Picture Canyon  Prairie falcon - Picture Canyon
White-crowned sparrow - not unusual but evidently migrating through, in Picture
Canyon  Summer tanager - imm. male - Holt CanyonNote:  we heard NO yellow
warblers, though we were in good habitat for them.     Some other birders
reported a Lewis' woodpecker "at the fork in the road" in Cottonwood Canyon but
we didn't see it.  Four bighorn sheep ewes were resting in cultivated fields in
the Cottonwood Canyon bottom.  Winter and spring rains have made the grassland
and canyons green, and where the cattle don't eat them the wildflowers are
abundant. Polly and Gene Reetz, Ed and Judy Butterfield, Janet Decker, Fred
Griest, Bob and Thea Pyle   .