In spite of the apparent lack of migratory birds this year, three of us
ventured forth with our big day plans yesterday. We were optimistic that at
least the weather was forecast to be excellent throughout the day. We were
owling in the mountains by 4:00 am and quickly got Flammulated, Saw-whet, Great
Horned Owls as well as Poorwill (all Conejos County). Great start for sure!

But the rest of the day was difficult as bird numbers were way low, confirming
our concerns. We worked hard to find birds and there were very few wiz bang
species. Best birds were the  four species of owls; a total of 13 Black-bellied
Plovers in three locations (6 at Blanca Wetlands Alamosa Cty; 6 at San Luis
Lake Alamosa Cty and 1 at Smith Res Costilla Cty). A Stilt Sandpiper at San
Luis Lake was a good find. A Red-necked Phalarope was only one among many
Wilson's Phalaropes at Blanca wetlands. Warblers were terrible and we even
missed the "expected" species like Orange-crowned, Virginia's and no extras.

Other birds reported yesterday but not part of our count were a Bobolink and
Lazuli Bunting at Blanca Wetlands by Lisa Rawinski.

So when the sun had set, we called it a day with 123 species, tying our lowest
numbers in the last 10 years or so. It made us appreciate the 143 that still
stands as the record.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO