Kay, Bob, and CObirders,
Having barely birded in the state of CO since taking a job with Opticron
optics last February, I take the opportunity to at least watch my feeders
when home. My fiance and I have started a once-a-month birdwatching club
for kids in Olde Town Arvada.  After visiting the Ralston Creek Trail with
mixed results last month, the kids came to our house yesterday to learn
about feeder birds and backyard habitat.  Imagine my surprise at seeing two
new yard species - Lesser Goldfinch and Pine Siskin - before their arrival.
 I had one male and 3 female-types of Lesser Goldfinch and two Pine Siskins
that accompanied all the usual suspects.  I've started using a mix of
finely ground sunflower seed and nyjer in my thistle feeders this year and
have enjoyed a family of Northern Flickers (the adult female is an
intergrade) tonguing out the sunflower all summer.  Lately, my Downy
Woodpeckers are enjoying this feeder more than the suet too.  The kids had
a blast culminating with an adult Sharp-shinned Hawk taking a House Sparrow
and perching on the open ground for a while before retiring to a tree to
pluck it.  When it departed we went out and looked at the pile of feathers.
 Very cool!  Anyway, the goldfinches must have just been passing through as
I haven't seen them since the hawk episode.

Good birding,
Chip Clouse
Arvada, CO