We all agreed that this was a perfect final day for the fall - we
watched/listened to the Cranes take off, then caught lots of Juncos and 3
Sharp-shinned Hawks.  (The first hour+ was pretty quiet - not surprising,
since we had at least the 3 Sharpies we caught flying about.)  An adult
male, and a HY male and female.  Had the HY female and adult male in the
hand at the same time, and had more than a little trouble convincing
ourselves that the HY female was not a Coopers.

Here's the breakdown of new birds for the last day:

Sharp-shinned Hawk      3

Ruby-crowned Kinglet   1

Hermit Thrush   1

White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's        1

Dark-eyed Junco, Slate-colored 3

Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon            7

Dark-eyed Junco, Pink-sided      2

Dark-eyed Junco, White-winged               2

Our total for the season is approximately 1750 birds, 70 species, making it
the highest number of birds and species since 2006.  Final numbers by
species available in a couple of weeks.  Thanks to everyone who visited the
banding station, shared photos, commented on my posts!  It has been a great
fall.  We'll be back at Chatfield for spring banding starting the last week
in April!

Meredith McBurney

Biologist/Bander

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory