COBirders,
I thought I would relate a funny experience I had yesterday on the North
Trail at Teller Farms. When I reached the point where the trail turns away
from the river -- just before the dogleg that brings you to the lake -- I
heard a Sora call. I paused to confirm and heard the bird call twice more.
I'm very familiar with this species, and since they can be tough to get an
eye on, I felt confident in the ID.

Still, it seems a bit early for Sora, and the habitat there is not too
Sora-like. So I waited a bit more. Long story short, the Sora turned out to
be a European Starling -- the quality of the Starling's imitation was
uncanny, very impressive. I also heard an excellent imitation of a
Killdeer's flight call, and a decent version of Eastern Screech Owl. I
don't think I've every heard such impressive mimicking from a Starling
before...

The only interesting sighting of the day was a juv. Harlan's Hawk across
the road by Teller Lake #5.

Good birding,
Peter Burke
Boulder, CO