In addition to the Broad-winged Hawk and imm Harris's Sparrow (btw, I was
told they stay through April and some into May, at least in northern Colo,
before returning north), there were more unusual or first of the year birds
in Canon City.  I saw the Green Heron again yesterday but not today.
Yesterday I found at least 2 first of the year (in Colorado) Lincoln's
Sparrows east of Sell's Lake.

 Yesterday I found a flock of 17 Long-billed Curlews in a hay field on the
east side of Canon City that was being flooded.  This is the first time I
have seen them in Fremont County (previous closest was much further east in
Colorado).  There  were still 17 there today though now the field had snow
in it and they were joined by several Great-tailed Grackles, the males
displaying for a couple of females.   Also yesterday I found a single
Sandhill Crane in an agricultural field further east of Canon City.

I saw one Hermit Thrush near the Sell's Lake parking area for the Canon
City Riverwalk both yesterday and today.  Then to my surprise one came
across my yard late this afternoon (I live several hundred yards up and
over the bluff from the Riverwalk) so a few are still moving through the
area.

Today I saw 2 shrike in different locations just east of Canon City and one
was a late Northern Shrike (didn't get good view of the other).  Saw 2-3
terns flying in the back part of Canon City's Valco Ponds but only saw for
for quick and distant look.  They are doing a lot of earth moving at that
location and I am afraid they have destroyed the historic wetlands.

And late today I found a first of the year (for Colorado) Snowy Egret at
Sell's Lake.

Stopped by Brush Hollow today but only a few waterfowl when I was there.

I have posted some photos of the Long-billed Curlew on my Birds and Nature
blog <http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/> and will upload more of them
plus others tonight and tomorrow.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City