This morning I spotted a dark morph Broad-winged Hawk that was engaged in
hunting prey.  I quickly learned how to stay back far enough to not flush
it so I could observe it's behavior and take more photos--in fact I was
able to observe it and follow it as it worked around a forested area about
a quarter mile and for just over a half hour.  What fun!  I watched it
engage in perch and pounce hunt on one occasion (it might have scored but I
didn't want to get too close and risk it dropping it's prey).  I was
impressed by how small this hawk really is.

I did get some good photos and it has one of the two juvenile type tails as
described by Brian Wheeler in <i>Hawks of Western North America</i>:  this
one has the 'narrow banded type' tail with 4 fairly narrow dark bands plus
a wider dark subterminal band (noted by Wheeler to be the same on dark
morph as on light morph birds).

Certainly the odds are strongly against having 2 dark morph Broad-winged
Hawks in Canon City just 2 days apart--according to Cornell's All About
Birds webpage, "It is found primarily in the northwestern part of the
range, and accounts for less than 0.1% of migrants observed."  All my field
guides and online resources said a dark morph of this species is a rare or
very form so I expected this to be the same bird.

However, it looks to me like the tails on today's bird and Friday's bird
are different.  The bird I photographed on Friday appears to have a tail
consistent with an adult Broad-winged Hawk per Wheeler.  I have uploaded
photos and info on my Birds and Nature
blog<http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/>.
As always I welcome *civil* feedback (bashing is not appropriate).

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Personal blog @ http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com
Blogging for Birds an Blooms Magazine @ http://BirdsAndBloomsBlog.com