For CFOers headed to Cortez for the convention, here's a heads-up about some
birds seen this weekend at the fantastic Ute Mountain / Mesa Verde Birding
Festival in Cortez. This may be the only festival on the planet with a list
that includes Lucy's warbler, whimbrel, northern saw-whet owl, and the
inimitable Brenda Wright.

I was part of a Big (Half) Day on Saturday that saw 94 species, though not a
single shorebird. We started at Bradfield Bridge across the Dolores River and
ended 10 miles away on the rim of the canyon at Ferris Reservoir.  Best local
specialties were at least two Grace's warblers, four Lewis's woodpeckers,
nesting black phoebes, nesting peregrine falcon, plus a finch-a-palooza of
evening grosbeaks, black-headed grosbeaks, and red crossbills.

On my drive to Cortez, I saw two acorn woodpeckers on the dead ponderosa at the
staked-out site between two mobile homes west of Durango. Thanks to Joe Roller
for directions.

Good birding.

Mark Obmascik
Denver, CO