COBirders,
Christian Nunes spotted an adult Lewis's Woodpecker acting territorial
along the ridge of the hogback just south of Eldorado Springs - an area
that burned several years ago. When I went up, there were at least three,
very likely four, birds courting and checking out nesting sites. To access
the area, head west toward Eldorado Spgs., passing Dowdy Draw lot, and make
a left where the sign says, Yoga Ashram. This road provides access to the
Fowler Trail.

Follow the trail around I think three switchbacks until you get to a fork.
Turn left and head south -- this trail will take you directly below the hog
back. From here you can scan the ridge where the birds are easily seen
and/or heard flying between the dead trees, calling to one another and
giving the distinctive drumming that starts with a quick flourish, then
finishes with a number of slower taps.

Also in the area is a singing Indigo Bunting and (I'm told) one or more
Williamson's Sapsuckers.

I've posted photos of the Lewis's Woodpecker & Indigo Bunting here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pgburke/

Good birding,
Peter Burke
Boulder