COBirders,
I ventured out during the letup in the rain today...what a difference from
Sunday! Cottonwood Marsh was nearly dry on Sunday and today is full to
overflowing. The road on the west side of the wetland is completely washed
out, and water is cascading down like a miniature Niagra Falls! The
boardwalk was more than a foot under water when I left.

No shore, therefore no shorebirds at Cottonwood. But there were at least 8
Black Tern, plus many ducks including a pair of female Bufflehead. Another
surprise were approx. 9 Tree Swallows, the only non-Barn Swallows I've seen
in weeks.

A quick tour of the nearby ponds turned up mostly Killdeer and Solitary
Sandpipers, 13 SOSA by my count. There were also 2 Spotted Sandpipers, 1
Least Sandpiper and 3 fly-over Dowitchers, presumably Long-billed. I never
re-found these to get a good look. No sign of the previously reported
Pectoral Sandpipers, but I didn't check the western ponds.

There were a few warblers about, mostly Wilson's. An Eastern Phoebe,
previously reported by Ted Floyd, and a few sparrows including 2
Clay-colored. I surprised a Sharp-shinned Hawk that was too wet to flee and
instead just perched with its wings and tail spread like a cormorant trying
to dry off...like the rest of us no doubt.

Best wishes to everyone,

Peter Burke
Boulder

--