I photographed a light-morph Ferruginous Hawk this week in eastern Fremont
County getting some close up photos when she landed on a utility pole
across the road from where I was parked (and photographing with long
telephoto plus some cropping).  I didn't see it in the field but when I
uploaded her photos I saw that she was missing her right eye.  Having only
one eye is a major problem for birds as it would significantly affect their
depth perception which would make grabbing prey a difficult task for a
raptor. I have read of raptors with one functional eye--one eagle was kept
as an educational bird in a raptor center
<http://www.juneauraptorcenter.org/edprofiles.php>as it ran into things.
The other raptor, an Eagle Owl <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17555036>,
was released as the raptor center that treated it for injuries with an
attached radio transmitter that allowed researches to follow her as she
successfully raised a 3 offspring while they noted no detectable
differences in her behavior compared to fully sighted birds.  I wasn't able
to look for her again until today due to the snow and extreme cold here but
did refind her today.  I have uploaded some close-up photos as well as a
few of her in flight on my Birds and Nature
blog<http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/>.

I wonder if anyone has had experience with a one eyed hawk?

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com