Not far north of Fort Collins along Route 1 (cottonwood w of mailbox for 4629)
just north of Terry Lake and the entrance to the Eagle Lake Subdivision,  I had
a Merlin which I am fairly certain was a "Pacific (aka "black" or sukleyi)
race.  It perched high in a cottonwood against an overcast sky facing away from
me.  I got suckyi (i.e. very poor) photos before it flew off toward the nw
corner of Terry Lake.  This is only about the 5th I've ever seen in CO.
Because I did not observe and photograph the underparts, the ID to subspecies
will never be certain but the back was quite dark.

Eagle Lake Subdivision is a gated community but I was told it is probably OK to
go just beyond the always-open (in my experience) gate a little ways, pull into
the gravel parking area, and view the lake to the north.  I the past I have
seen lots of gulls at this time of year, including Lesser Black-backed.  Today
there were fully 1100 Redheads.  Impossible to count exactly, as they were
diving a lot, but this total is pretty close.

North Poudre #3 was almost ice-free and had nothing exceptional.

Just west of Larimer CR11 on CR70 (i.e., a mile or so north of North Poudre #3)
is an unnamed pond on the north side near a small power station.  Mostly hiding
in the vegetation at the north end of this pond were about 60 Sandhill Cranes.

Hamilton Reservoir did not have a lot of birds but in the far west bays were
over 100 Canvasbacks.  Also, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, a few Horned Grebes, a few
Western Grebes (probably all of these wintered).

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins