As I continued perusing the January 2014 Colo Parks and Wildlife Commission
Final Regulations I ran across another section that may be of interest to
those who feed birds.

Reg #021, Feeding or Attracting Wildlife

   - "D.  No person shall fail to take remedial action to avoid contact or
   conflict with black bears, coyotes or fox, which may include the
   securing or removal of outdoor trash, cooking grills, pet food,
birdfeeders or any other similar food source or attractant, after
being
   notified by the Division that black bears, coyotes or fox are in the
   area and advised to undertake such remedial action.*Further, after an
   initial contact or conflict with a black bear, coyotes or fox, no person
   shall continue to provide, or otherwise fail to secure or remove, any
   likely food sources or attractants, **including, but not limited to,
   outdoor trash, grills, pet food or bird feeders.*"  [my underlining]

Certainly it is inappropriate to put out bird food that may attract bears
when there are bears active in one's area.  Since bears are starting to
come out from their winter dens, this information from the Colo Parks and
Wildlife<http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=inline%3B+filename%3D%22Living+with+Bears+brochure.pdf%22&blobheadervalue2=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251853492897&ssbinary=true>is
timely:

   - " Studies show that a big meal of tasty, nutritious seeds-- a natural
   food for bears -- is often the first reward
   a bear gets for exploring human places. Letting your bird feeders turn
   into bear feeders teaches bears that it's safe to come close to people and
   homes looking for food. And for bears that can be a deadly lesson."
   - "We recommend not feeding birds during the months when bears are
   active.
   - "Instead, use water features, plant-ings, nest boxes and flowers to
   attract birds. Use bird feeders only when bears are hibernating"

Here is the link to those
regulations<http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2014/Jan/January2014PWCMinutes-Final.pdf>which
I forgot to add to my previous email.

SeEtta Moss