Acting on a tip from Cole Wild, Austin Hess, Michael Costello and myself were
able to refind an Arctic Tern and two Common Terns among a small pod of larger
Forster's Terns yesterday May 14 at 6:30 pm at the south end of Boyd Lake in
Loveland.  We viewed the roosting terns (search carefully among the emergent
vegetation if the terns are not flying around) from the southeast corner. We
parked at a pullout at the end of Frank St. off Boyd Lake Rd. (East of the lake
- no fee area). Please respect the no trespass signs. Because we respected the
signs, we were invited by the property caretaker to walk onto the private
property. However, our best views (through telescopes) were achieved from the
pullout. I think the Arctic Tern may not be in full breeding plumage yet as the
small bill appeared dark, I thought I could make out a weak carpal bar on the
resting bird, and Cole thought he noted some white feathers still visible on
the forehead. When foraging, the terns may be seen anywhere on the lake. Best
morning viewing will be from the east side (no fee) and in the afternoon from
the west side (state park - fee area).

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

Sent from my iPhone