From: Christian Nunes
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 11:35 AM
To: CObirds List
Subject: [cobirds] Grace's Warbler, Eldorado Mountain Open Space, Boulder Co.,
6/2/14

Good morning,

While doing point counts at the Eldorado Mountain Open Space (OSMP) this
morning, I found a territorial male GRACE'S WARBLER. For years I've been
looking at this particular grove of old-growth Ponderosa Pines and thinking
about how great it would be to have a GRWA there. His territory is centered
around where the dirt road crosses Spring Brook, close to the intersection of
the Spring Book Loop and Goshawk Ridge Trails.

For people who are unfamiliar with the area, here are some more specific
directions. From Eldorado Springs Drive, turn south (left) onto CR 67. Park at
the Open Space gate. Hike up the road, turning south (left) at the fork. As you
walk along the base of the hogback ridge, look and listen for the nesting
LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS up on the ridge. Off-trail access west of the trail
requires a permit, and since the woodpeckers are breeding, keeping a respectful
distance is a must. If good will and respect aren't impetus enough to keep you
on the trail, then I can vouch for the fact that the place is crawling with
Prairie Rattlesnakes.

Continue on south past the ripple rocks. The road soon enters pine forest. You
will soon see a dilapidated old coral on the left and an ugly concrete flume
that shunts water from a Denver Water Board canal over the Spring Brook gully.
This is the spot. Stand on the road and listen for the distinct two-part song.
The distinct part is the last bit, a rapid, rising trill. There are lots of
VIRGINIA'S WARBLERS and an AUDUBON'S WARBLER right here to confuse matters, but
only a little bit. Tapes are not appropriate nor are they necessary. Patience,
knowledge of what birds sound like, and the ability to spot movement in the
canopy are the only tools necessary to enjoy this rarity.

One way hike is 1.2 miles.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zG5lCtrQ39_0.klJBjQZ7vdQk

Since it's City property, the rules and regs are, naturally, overly complicated
yet decidedly PC. Off-trail access east of the road is OK. West of the road
requires a free permit that is available online (Eldorado Mountain HCA permit
via osmp.org). The Denver Water Board owns the land directly adjacent to their
canal, thus the "No Tresspassing" signs. Best bet is to stick to the road since
the bird is right there anyway.

Lots of great birds in the area, including standards like HAMMOND'S and
CORDILLERAN FLYCATCHERS, PLUMBEOUS VIREOS, etc. I had one other "rare" bird
during my point counts today, which was a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD.

A pit-stop at the South Mesa Trail parking lot off Eldorado Springs Drive
produced a singing RED-EYED VIREO.

Cheers,

Christian Nunes
Boulder, CO