This morning (9/9) I walked a 7.5 mile loop in Ken Caryl Valley
circumnavigating the northern developed area of Ken Caryl Ranch, mostly
passing through grassland and scrub with some riparian, Gambel oaks and
thickets, sometimes close to planted back yards. (No open public access on
trails).

Best finds were a *Cassin's Vireo* at Massey Draw, *Nashville Warbler* at
Dutch Creek, and *Northern Mockingbird* -- my 1st in the Ken Caryl Valley
area -- south of Dutch Creek in the vale between the Dakota and Lyons
hogbacks.

I was delighted to encounter a large number of *Rock Wrens*, totaling 53
individuals (!), with all but a few in that vale between the Dakota and
Lyons hogbacks in grassland with scattered boulders and sparse shrubs.
Clearly they were migrants; the species nests in this area, but I've only
found just 1-4 on outings in the KC area otherwise recently. By contrast,
only 3 *Canyon Wrens* were detected.

Other warblers included 58 *Wilson's*, 5 *Virginia's*, 1 *Orange-crowned*,
1 *Townsend's*, 1 *Common Yellowthroat*, and 2 *MacGillivray's*. Sparrows
were plentiful in many areas, with tallies of 236 *Chipping*, 18
*Clay-colored*, 12 *Brewer's*, 79 *Spizella* sp., 18 *Vesper*, 7 *Lincoln's*
(my 1st migrants at KC this season), 2 *Song*, and 2 *Savannah*. 13
*Green-tailed
Towhees* in areas where none nested were more evidence of migration.
Also 1 *Dusky
Flycatcher*, 1 *Hermit Thrush *down out of the forest 1 *Loggerhead Shrike*,
12 *Sage Thrashers*, and 2 *Red Crossbills *(Type 2).

2 *Gray-headed Juncos* in sparse oaks amid grassland were the only ones
I've seen down out of the forest nesting habitat since mid-April. A *Red-naped
Sapsucker* in a backyard was perhaps wandered downslope or was a migrant.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO