Hello, Birders.

A little while ago this sunny Saturday morning, Oct. 4, Andrew and I saw
and heard a *White-throated Sparrow* along the shore of Waneka Lake,
Boulder County. The bird was just northwest of the playground. The
White-throated Sparrow exhibits a balanced chromosomal polymorphism; the
bird we observed was of the black-and-white ("bright" or dominant) morph.
In the past week, White-throated Sparrows have been putting on a good show
just to our north; a week ago, Andrew and I (and others) saw at least 4
just outside Cheyenne, Laramie County, and a few days later, birders in
Casper, Natrona County, found at least 12.

Here is a recording of the flight call of the White-throated Sparrow at
Waneka Lake:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/197803

Spectrographically, the flight call of the White-throated Sparrow is
unique, being double-banded, high-pitched, descending, and wavering or
trilled toward the end. This is what the Waneka Lake bird "looked" like:

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j0zlKmCFGm4/VDAy7QHyDAI/AAAAAAAAVt0/3Msrq5IDAmk/s1600/White-throated%2BSparrow.jpg>
In the immediate vicinity were Orange-crowned, Wilson's, and Audubon's
warblers. Also, surround-sound Allard's ground crickets. No Sandhill Cranes
for us yet, but we have ears cocked to the sky...

Ted Floyd

Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado