A sneaky, last-minute rider added to the federal government's 1,603-page
spending bill blocks federal endangered species protections to the Gunnison
sage-grouse and the greater sage-grouse. I know COBIRDS isn't for politics, but
it's not for putting our heads in the sand, either.
Colorado is the last best place on Earth for the Gunnison sage-grouse. Eight
years ago, our state had 6,220 Gunnison sage-grouse in eight separate areas.
Last year, biologists counted 4,773 birds in seven areas. Numbers go up and
down year-to-year. Colorado has had two decades to protect the bird, but the
species remains in deep trouble. Several colonies of Gunnison sage-grouse have
gone extinct in the years that Colorado state officials have promised to
protect the species. Now that the feds are stepping in, pols in Washington
slipped in an unpublicized paragraph this week to head off federal protections
of the birds.
It would be awful to have a home-state species go extinct on our watch.
There are real conflicts between the greater sage-grouse and oil-and-gas
development across the West. However, the Gunnison sage-grouse does not face a
similar conflict. The Gunnison sage-grouse once lived in Four Corners areas
that now have much petroleum development, but those bird colonies are now
extinct.
Here is a link to one of many of tonight's news stories on the last-minute
congressional rider: Bye bye birdie

|   |
| Bye bye birdieBefore lawmakers could agree to a $1.1 trillion, last-minute
deal to avoid shutting down the U.S. government, they first had to deal with a
couple of birds. The res... |
|  |
| View on www.politico.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |