Dear Cobirders & CBC participants:

There is something that I and my cohorts (leading teams for upcoming CBC in
Boulder) have been wondering about.

Since the National Audubon Society allows for (I believe) a two-week window for
getting the counts done, is the data good no matter when we turn it in during
those two weeks? Because a "weather event" (like the one that may occur on
Sunday) can skew all the data for the season if THAT DAY ONLY carries data
"weight," but not the count-week data also. This makes no sense to me whatever.

We looked it up on Audubon FAQ and the answer was not very helpful. It said
that count week data birds would be categorized as "cw." OK--but does that mean
that they are as meaningful as what we gather on our chosen local day, or not?

I know it's fun to gather data all together on a given day, and to make a bit
of a contest out of it, but speaking statistically, the two week spread data
ought to be of equal significance, IMHO.

What do the rest of you know/think about this?

Linda Andes-Georges
central Boulder County (right between two CBC count circles)
2 mi east of Lagerman Res

PS Thanks to the treasurer for membership reminders.