Yesterday mid-morning we walked the Overlook trail at Lory State Park and
just where a small spring crosses the trail was a mixed flock.  There were
about 6-8 golden-crowned kinglets right in front of us, all hovering around
a few scraggly junipers above the water.  We first heard the high-pitched
notes and then saw the flock.  They were like moving Christmas ornaments,
lighting up the space in the forest.  There was also a brown creeper moving
upside-down on the juniper branches and several black-capped chickadees.
Along the same trail were 3 hairy woodpeckers chasing each other off their
feeding posts.  While contouring, a red-tailed hawk landed a few feet from
us at the stop of a small ponderosa, not seeing us.  A Townsend's Solitaire
greeted us around the next corner and we spotted 2 scrub jays down the hill.

A memorable walk on a chilly December morning.

Libby Edwards
Fort Collins
Larimer County