COBirders,

One late spring a few years ago at our cabin in western Custer County (9,200
ft.) I witnessed an interesting episode involving a young Sharp-shinned Hawk.
I was watching a group of small passerines on my platform feeder when I saw
them scatter in a panic.  I noticed a sharpie had just landed on a fence post
close by.  After a while he (probable gender) left, and three Steller’s Jays
came to the feeder.  The sharpie returned to the post.  The jays didn’t fly off
but were very nervous, jumping and flitting around.  The hawk made a couple of
feints and the jays left reluctantly.  With no prey in sight, the Sharpie left
again.  A couple of hours later there were several Band-tailed Pigeons feeding
when the hawk showed up again on the fence post.  The pigeons completely
ignored the accipiter which, even though inexperienced, decided against any try
at prey whose 13 ounces outweighed his five or less.  He left for the third
time, not to return at least to my knowledge.

Leon Bright, Pueblo